Symbol of the Government of Canada

Instructions to Recipient - Advance Payment  

1.    General
1. General
1.1   You may request an advance only if your Contribution Agreement contains an article allowing 

1.2   In order to obtain an advance, you must complete the Advance Payment Request form. Depending 
        on your situation, you may need to complete the Declaration of Overdue Amounts Owed to the 
        Crown form.

1.3   If your Advance Payment Request form is incomplete, it will result in delays and may be 
        returned to you without being processed. You may contact your Program Officer if you 
        have any questions regarding your Contribution Agreement, the advance process or if
        you need assistance in completing the form(s).

1.4   If there are pre-disbursement conditions in your Contribution Agreement, please submit 
        proof that they have been met when submitting your first Advance Payment Request.

1.5   Your Advance Payment Request must be submitted for costs expected to be incurred in the near 
        future – no more than the next three (3) months. These costs are detailed in your Contribution 
        Agreement, more specifically in the Statement of Work. 


1.6   To submit your request electronically, use ACOA Direct. To register, please contact your 
        Program Officer.
1.7   You can download the above-noted forms on our website at and submit 
        your completed forms by mail or fax. Note that e-mail is not a secure means by which to submit
        your financial information.

2. Advance Payment Request
2.1   Please provide details of your forecasted requirements for project funds. 

2.2   Please group costs to be incurred according to the Eligible Project Costs listed in the Statement 
        of Work (for example, all costs relating to Equipment should be grouped together).

2.3   Please note that the Agency will not advance funds for the HST/GST that you are eligible to receive 
        as an Input Tax Credit from the Canada Revenue Agency. Please exclude HST/GST from your 
        Advance Payment Request.

2.4   A person authorized to sign on behalf of the recipient must sign and date the certification section. 
        If you are submitting your request through ACOA Direct, it should be submitted by a properly 
        authorized individual. 

2.5   Providing misleading or incorrect information constitutes an event of default pursuant to your 
        Contribution Agreement. In such a case, the Agency, pursuant to the Agreement, has the 
        right to suspend or terminate any obligations to contribute to the eligible costs and/or to 
        demand the immediate and full repayment of its contribution.

2.6   Your advance must be substantiated, to the satisfaction of the Agency, within forty-five (45) 
        calendar days of the end of your advance period. Substantiation must be in the form of a Claim 
        for a Progress or Final Payment detailing costs incurred and amounts paid by the Recipient to 
        the suppliers and/or employees. Further advances will not be processed until you have 
        substantiated all the funds previously advanced.
3. Declaration of Overdue Amounts Owed to the Crown
3.1   You must complete this form when you have any overdue amounts owed to the Crown. Please 
        describe the nature of the amount(s) and the name(s) of the department(s) to which each 
        amount is overdue.